Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I'm thinking of trying to do well for myself and my team and we'll see where it goes!



Owen Watson, Goal.com

Michael Owen scored the second goal as Manchester United defeated Barnsley in the League Cup this evening and told Sky Sports that he was pleased to help his team get into the next round.

He said: “Obviously [we're] happy to get through, 2-0. We didn't play as well as we could have, especially in the first half – we were very average but we're through and we're happy with that.”
The Englishman felt that he gave an average performance personally and vented his frustration at the print media for their ratings.

“[Scoring goals?] That's how people judge me unfortunately,” sighed Owen.

“I started a game 10 days ago at home against Bolton and we won 2-1 and I came off pretty pleased with myself – I thought I'd played really well and I didn't score, looked at all the papers next day and I think I got a 3 or a 4 and the papers had a go at me.

“Played pretty average tonight but scored a goal so I'll probably get a 6 or a 7 tomorrow, doesn't really add up.”

Owen gave credit to Barnsley for their approach to the game and also said that the conditions didn't help Manchester United's performance.

“It was a tough game tonight to play well, especially in the first half. They pressured us and they had the wind and probably a hill as well, it seemed as though there was a bit of a slope on the pitch.” he explained. “So they had the wind and the slope and we found it hard to get out of box.”
“[If I had to rate myself] probably deserved a 5 tonight and a 7 or an 8 the other day, but roles reversed as I say,” continued Owen.

On his international future, Owen admitted that he has no idea if he features in Fabio Capello's plans and said he was focused on playing well for United.

“I don't know really, obviously you'll have to ask the England manager that but it's not something when I go on the pitch that I'm thinking about,” Owen commented. “I'm thinking of trying to do well for myself and my team and we'll see where it goes.”

No comments: